You heard perhaps last day’s about the major problems of Attacks to Systems with the „WannaCry“ Crypto Ware
Howto protect yourself?
- Enable the Firewall on Windows Systems!! Always!
- Update daily the Virus Scanners and Windows Patches!
- Disable and CLOSE Ports you never need! SMB Protocol is a open unencrypted Transfer Protocol!
- Use a second Router with Firewall behind your ISP Router or Modem! (openwrt, pfsense)
- Check with nmap Portscanner Tool the taken Rules and check if the work!
- For Network Access use ALWAYS SFTP with Authentification over KEYs Logins (Two Factor: Key and Password for unlock the Keyfiles id_rsa)
- For fresh installed Systems do a Full Backup of the Disk.
- To Save your work files use USB Drives or USB Sticks which can be unplugged, if you don’t need them.
- Backup weekly the Windows Disk to a external USB Disk 1TB sold for less than 50$
- ..last but not least use a Live CD of Linux like ubuntu to access the Internet..
- The Linux Windows Share Service called Samba is also under attack CVE-2017-7494
- to fix enter smb.conf with a Editor:
nt pipe support = no
- restart the Service with:
$service samba stop && service samba start
- Don’t use reload, to be secure that the config is really reloaded!! A „systemd“ Problem!
- Check the Samba Share for write and read access!
Bug: Minimize Windows freeze Unity Desktop 15.04
Solution: If you use Tweaks to disable or hide the Desktop Icons which are displayed by Nautilus Filemanager Unity is often freezing on maximize or minimize the Windows of Apps like Firefox or Chromium-Browser. This is NO Compiz or Graphic Chip Driver Problem! Its seen on Intel HD, Radeon or Nvidia Graphic on „fresh“ Systems!
No Log Entry’s are made!! by the System, User must often hard reset the PC or restart Lightdm Login Manager on Console!!
Problem: On a Debian Squeeze/Ubuntu with default setup the interaction can be very slow at your Home Network. SSH Logon seems to hang seconds, Browser startup and www browsing could be slow or offer waits
Background: IPv6 was implemented on newer OS, but never used at Local Networks (IPv4) cause there are no IPv6 Nameservers!!!
- edit with #sudo nano /etc/hosts and comment out IPv6 with #
# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
#::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
- then disable IPv6 on boot for the services and programs with #sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1
- NOW reboot the PC and test all programs like ssh login, shell login, sudo switch, Browser..for speed should be faster..
- THIS is SAME on other OS like Windows Vista, 7, 8.. same Problems!!