If you use two Linux Servers with NFS Shares connect over Gigabit Interfaces for Backups, you perhaps remark performance problems on using rsync.
It does often pause transmissions or reach only a rate of 32Mb/s. That’s bad and waste time and energy.
After some Tests of running Backups with single files and compressed big archives, the scans of my tools like iftop, systat, iptraf found out that the used Option „rsync -avz“ was the bottle neck, cause the Data Rate break down at intervals. The „z“ compress option was described on howtos as must have for slower networks did not work like a „on the fly permanent transmission“. My two Test Servers use each 3 Gigabit bonded NIC Cards, if the rsync command compress the Files, they were first pulled to RAM Cache and compressed there later after a small pause send.
If you disable and remove the „z“ option and on used bash scripts as „batch run“ removing the „v“ Option too, i was able to send Data at range of 133MB/s.
On fast Network do:
$rsync -a /source/ /nfs-mounted-destination
WordPress is a well known Blogging Platform to publish your Content to the world. But after some years of analysing of my Webserver Logs i remarked that a lot of used plugins produces more errors on inside linking than i would like to have. I could not explain why the Search Engines run into Errors or dead ends if they scan via the bots the Content. I didn’t realize that the plugins were the bad factor.
If you see same problems you can start up analyse your Blog for free with these steps:
- Go Plugins disable all uneeded Plugins like Cache, Tags .. and check that the Cache Folder is empty on your Webspace!! Have seen that trash is always there if i disable or remove the plugins.
- Go Settings, Reading, General and save all Settings again! If possible reset to WordPress defaults
- Check URLs Settings! http / https, i prefer https cause google does rank it higher than http.
- Check URLs of Images / Media Content, purge external Content!! Againt’s copyright violations!!
- Purge outdated Posts!
- Checkout if some older Plugins Functions are now integrated into the new Version of WordPress by default. If this happen purge the plugin! Cause Search Engines don’t like double tagging or linking, this can by calculated as Spam be the Search Engines.
- You should know less plugins offers more Security, cause most of them are made by one developer (one man show like openssl bugs)
- Try to use wordpress like more default, this offers you the security that bots can grab the page easy without errors.
- Cache Plugins can speed up wordpress on low end Webspaces, but the static page creation can be a risc if the Plugin crashes on Caching and save destroyed Pages on the Cache Folder!
- Run WordPress on a Webspace where you have full access to Logs and the Webspaces, that you can control and purge bugs by hand.
- Check weekly Logs and if you use Search Engine Webmastertools for free.
- Use a easy loadable and readable Theme, cause longer Load Times are ranked down too!
Now you know why less is more , have fun with blogging..
I am often asked what is the best Desktop Software for Linux?
- a good Desktop must be fast by window handling, easy to read and needs less hardware resources
- the fonts must be clear and easy to read
- animations should not break the operations, glossy windows should by easy to switch off
- a taskbar should always show you which apps are active and opened
- a taskbar should not group icons!
- a progam menu should open fast and should wait for user interactions, special for newbies or older people!
- a good Desktop Software should not force you to the need of high end GPU Graphic Cards and save energy!
- a good Desktop Software should run without any Errors,Bugs and Freezes on EVERY Hardware without any User configuration!
Thats the secret why the old classic desktop called „openbox“ or „LXDE“ (openbox with lxpanel as Taskbar) offers you 400% more effectivity instead of „glossy“ windowmanagers of the most current Linux OS’s.
Openbox is still ahead of the other Desktops.. old things live longer as you believe..
Unity Glossy Desktop with hidden Icon Groups,Window Shades (needs 3D-GPU Drivers) and Glossy Popups need 20% more Energy by default.
Don’t believe?? Do a dual setup of both Desktop Software Packages and test the handling.. after 10 Minutes you believe me..
Update 04/2017: Ubuntu CEO Mark Shuttleworth published the End of Life of the Unity Desktop Development on Ubuntu 18.04!