Today i was touched by a Bug of my fritzbox 7490, after installing a USB 3.0 Stick as NAS the Wifi connect was broken to all devices!
After some search on net i found this post:
The high magnetic frequency’s of USB 3.0 data transfer inside the cable or stick hangup the WIFI chips! It works like a WIFI JAMMER!!
DONT USE A ROUTER AS NAS! If it fails or overheat all devices are offline!! It’s a really big joke that most Manufacter sell devices without TESTING!! I call it Banana Hardware..
On openwrt 15.XX i have seen if you installed additional Sofware via opkg and the /overlay path is nearby full you can’t save any settings via Luci Webinterface (blue Info box right upper corner) or the Router reboots hard automatic into failsave mode (lost all settings / factory reset)
- You can install a external usb stick on most routers and move the „/overlay“ folder to it
- You should always Download the „backup-settings.tgz“ from Software Menu to get the Router easy and fast online again on last working state.
- If the rootfs (root filesystem and overlay path) is nearby full, YOU CANT remove installed packages by „opkg“ packet manager, cause the ROM is readonly! For this reset the router and restore easy from „backup-settings.tgz“.
- If the external USB Drive loses connect to the Router (Power failure) and you use Samba as NAS Server the /overlay path can run full too!! and the Router can crash and reset too!! This shows openwrt should NEVER be used for secure routing jobs AND NAS Operations ! Cause it can you lock out!
Result: openwrt is a nice opensource router os which allows you to control and active monitor your internet connections with realtime graphs (WebUI+Console) and blocking rules. It should always be used behind a black boxed ISP router of your provider to get a private area!
At the Summer Time you need perhaps a Wifi Extender for your Garden??
- TP Link 841/N (low power/Battery 9V/Solar /Type-N-allows external planar Antennas!!), 3600+4300 (USB-NAS/CIFS/SFTP/Classroom Library with USB Strorage)
- Openwrt 15.XX Calmer as OS with Firewall, Webinterface and REALTIME Monitor for Traffic and Connections!
- Easy Setup, replace the OS by the TP-Link-Updater, reboot and Login to Openwrt
- You got professional Options!
- works as Firewall, Extender, Repeater, WIFI-to-WIFI Bridge, LAN-to-WIFI Bridge, NTP-Server, DNS/DHCP Server
- can isolate connected WIFI Clients
- can handle different WIFI SSIDs / Networks on same Hardware
- modded Hardware can be used with 5Volts of Power! (841 removed Resistor)
- runs Freifunk OS for Public Free WIFI Guestnet (without Password Login and VPN to Public Internet Gateways for anonymous Web Access)
- free security updates, backup and restore of settings!
- free support by published Wikis, many Manuals on Internet and of course by me
- free Download od the Sofware at openwrt.org