Current is a UNFIXED Bug on Debian 9.0 Stretch which makes impossible to easy install DKMS Nvidia-Legacy Drivers 304/340 for older Geforce Cards
To run nouveau on upgrade 8.0 to 9.0 go to /etc/modprobe.d and remove MANUAL all blacklist configs (*.conf) of nvidia cause some glued on upgrade and are not purged automatic by the upgrade. Cause they will block nouveau load at boot (xserver-xorg-video-nouveau)
Then run on Terminal:
$sudo update-initramfs -u -k all $sudo update-grub $sudo reboot
- Older Hardware isn’t supported by Legacy Drivers after Nvidia-375!!
- If you not forced to upgrade to 9.0, then WAIT! up to 3 Month! and checkout Bug Lists.
- I tried Nvidia Installer Files too (*.run) they don’t work too, seems a API of the Kernel is changed
- Nouveau Version on Debian Stretch is able to run Kodi (glx)! seen on Geforce 8400GS 256MB
- On Onboard Geforce Chips like older Laptops HOLD Debian 8.0