Under heavy load the Debian Kernel 4.14-13 crashes on high memory load and let the CPU freeze. Not really funny so rollback to older version
After Ubuntu published the latest Kernel Patches for Meltdown and Spectre the Kernel 4.4.0-104/109-generic let Intel Graphics freeze or hang on Compiz with Unity.
Install the latest Kernel 4.4.0-112-generic
sudo apt-get install linux-image-4.4.0-112-generic sudo apt-get install linux-image-extra-4.4.0-112-generic
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge -y
This removes older kernels and save Space! Do test the PC for hanging again!!!
If you use Ubuntu Desktop 16.10 you will run sometimes into freezes of the Desktop with a Default Setup.
Background: Theres a known Bug of the Deja-Dup Backup Service which is started by Cron. The Service take 100% Ram and 100% CPU usage. This did my PC with 16GB Ram too! Only HARD RESET helps to get back Control!
- Purge the deja-dup service with:
$sudo apt purge deja-dup
- Use instead the „rsync“ tool by command line with users crontab to Backup your User Homes to external or 2nd. Disk.
This should fix the problem.
If you own a Gigablue TV Box ( Gigablue UE 800 2 Tuner DVB-S + DVB-C for example) a reboot on Firmware 4.2 can lookup the box to factory reset. This did my box too.
I decided to upgrade the Firmware from openmips 4.2 to current 5.4. But you ran into some bugs, like freezes on Firmware flashes! Hang on Reboot, or boot after Flash into old Firmware.
I found some Workarounds to fix (I have a gigabue with 2 Tuners inside and a HDD)
- To upgrade you need 3 USB Sticks 4GB FAT32 formated
- Go to the official Downloadpage and download the Firmware for your Model current Version 5.4 openmips!
- Extract this Zip File to one Stick (Folder gigablue)
- If you have never updated the box, last 12 month, search on openmips-page for the last „Bootloader Zip file“
- Extract it to the other usb stick with Folder „gigablue“ too. (check subfolders and files do not change folder tree, cause the root path is gigablue where the bios looks!
- FOR SUCCESSFUL FLASH REMOVE HDD and 2nd. ADDON Tuner Card ! CAUSE THIS CAN FREEZE the FLASHING (I/O Conflicts) !!
Firmware Opemmips go: http://image.openmips.com/5.4/index.php
Bootloader Openmips go: http://image.openmips.com/5.4/index.php?open=loader
Now let’s upgrade..
- Plugin the USB Stick with the last Boot Loader, Power off and on the Box by switching the PSU Switch, PRESS + HOLD OK BUTTON if the old Loader Shows Revision Number on Display „15XX“ then the Bios starts flashing the new Loader and Reboots after 1-2 Minutes without any work by YOU!! On newer models Press + Hold OK, then the Screen Shows PRESS POWER Button to Flash! (Bootloader 16XX Handling)
- After this Reboot, Power off, and change the USB Sticks and do the same work again, but to Flash NOW the „Openmips OS“ with enigma2.
- If this is successful the Box reboot again, but now into Opemmips 5.4 (Blue/White Logo instead Red/White)
- Change on a TV the Settings, HDMI Output, Language, Network Wifi, Satellite LNB and start Channel Auto Search
- Go to System -> Software and add your wanted Plugins like „Openwebif“ Web Interface and „EPG-Refresh“ (AUTO Update Channel Lists)
- Test the box and do A „Full Image Backup“ to a empty USB STICK!!
- Power down the Box and Plugin HDD and 2nd. Tuner Cards, Power on and Test again
- Do a FULL IMAGE BACKUP by the Interface to HDD (/media/hdd) too.
be happy and start recording your TV Sessions ..
Today i was touched by a Bug of my fritzbox 7490, after installing a USB 3.0 Stick as NAS the Wifi connect was broken to all devices!
After some search on net i found this post:
The high magnetic frequency’s of USB 3.0 data transfer inside the cable or stick hangup the WIFI chips! It works like a WIFI JAMMER!!
DONT USE A ROUTER AS NAS! If it fails or overheat all devices are offline!! It’s a really big joke that most Manufacter sell devices without TESTING!! I call it Banana Hardware..
Bug: Minimize Windows freeze Unity Desktop 15.04
Solution: If you use Tweaks to disable or hide the Desktop Icons which are displayed by Nautilus Filemanager Unity is often freezing on maximize or minimize the Windows of Apps like Firefox or Chromium-Browser. This is NO Compiz or Graphic Chip Driver Problem! Its seen on Intel HD, Radeon or Nvidia Graphic on „fresh“ Systems!
No Log Entry’s are made!! by the System, User must often hard reset the PC or restart Lightdm Login Manager on Console!!
On Libreoffice 4.3.X and earlier a lot of users post problems or freezes of scrolling inside Documents
This seems to be a bug inside Libreoffice and Cache Handling or 3D Handling to Intel HD
Solution: Add last ppa sources to the System to pull newest Version:
- Open Gnome Terminal / Console
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa && apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -y
To pull last from PPA Source Tree and install Libre Office 4.4.X which i tested successful
If you use a PC with a SSD Drive and a Motherboard which uses NVIDIA chipsets you may see Errors on boot
Command „dmesg“ Output like..
Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 41 ata5: EH complete ata5: EH in SWNCQ mode,QC:qc_active 0x1 sactive 0x1 ata5: SWNCQ:qc_active 0x1 defer_bits 0x0 last_issue_tag 0x0 dhfis 0x1 dmafis 0x1 sdbfis 0x0 ata5: ATA_REG 0x41 ERR_REG 0x84 ata5: tag : dhfis dmafis sdbfis sactive ata5: tag 0x0: 1 1 0 1 ata5.00: exception Emask 0x1 SAct 0x1 SErr 0x300000 action 0x6 frozen ata5.00: Ata error. fis:0x21 ata5.00: cmd 60/08:00:07:04:00/00:00:00:00:00/40 tag 0 ncq 4096 in res 41/84:00:07:04:00/84:00:00:00:00/40 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error) ata5: hard resetting link ata5: nv: skipping hardreset on occupied port ata5: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300) ata5.00: configured for UDMA/133 sd 4:0:0:0: [sdc] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08 sd 4:0:0:0: [sdc] Sense Key : 0xb [current] [descriptor] Descriptor sense data with sense descriptors (in hex): 72 0b 47 00 00 00 00 0c 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 07 sd 4:0:0:0: [sdc] ASC=0x47 ASCQ=0x0...
This is a bug by the NVIDIA Manufacterer NOT by LINUX!
The Problem is that the hardware command „swncq“ (DMA-64bit) is set to on by the „default“ Kernels now, but older nvidia chips don’t support it! Only DMA-32bit
Info found here swnq libsata nvidia kernel (external Link)
Workaround on Gnome Terminal or Console:
- $sudo echo ‚options sata_nv swncq=0‘ >> /etc/modprobe.d/sata_nv.conf
- $sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
- reboot and test with „dmesg“ command on Terminal! there should be NO Error now!
- If the Problem still exists, then change SATA Cables to SATA-300/600 (II/III) „with Metal Clip on Connectors“ take „shortest length“
- May be possible that this bug touches other OS like Windows too