I am often asked what is the best Desktop Software for Linux?
- a good Desktop must be fast by window handling, easy to read and needs less hardware resources
- the fonts must be clear and easy to read
- animations should not break the operations, glossy windows should by easy to switch off
- a taskbar should always show you which apps are active and opened
- a taskbar should not group icons!
- a progam menu should open fast and should wait for user interactions, special for newbies or older people!
- a good Desktop Software should not force you to the need of high end GPU Graphic Cards and save energy!
- a good Desktop Software should run without any Errors,Bugs and Freezes on EVERY Hardware without any User configuration!
Thats the secret why the old classic desktop called „openbox“ or „LXDE“ (openbox with lxpanel as Taskbar) offers you 400% more effectivity instead of „glossy“ windowmanagers of the most current Linux OS’s.
Openbox is still ahead of the other Desktops.. old things live longer as you believe..
Unity Glossy Desktop with hidden Icon Groups,Window Shades (needs 3D-GPU Drivers) and Glossy Popups need 20% more Energy by default.
Don’t believe?? Do a dual setup of both Desktop Software Packages and test the handling.. after 10 Minutes you believe me..
Update 04/2017: Ubuntu CEO Mark Shuttleworth published the End of Life of the Unity Desktop Development on Ubuntu 18.04!
Problem: If you want to work faster with your Openbox Desktop you should use Keyboard Shortcuts for often used Programs like Internet, Mail and Run Command box.
Solution: edit as user $nano /home/user/.config/openbox/rc.xml insert
#RunCommand with gmrun on X CTRL+R
#Internet Key with chromium CTRL+I
#Internet Mail with icedove CTRL+M
save and relogin into openbox..enjoy economy working..
Remark: Its powerful on small Netbooks or Laptops cause you don’t need to use tricky Touchpads!
System: i386 Lucid Lynx default setup
Problem: If you try to mount a local ftp share Nautilus stops working by loading files of a folder like 100 Images
Solution: Remove Samba-Common and Nautilus-share with
#sudo aptitude remove nautilus-share samba-commone –purge
try now ftp mount..this bug is reported and unsolved
Bug: If you want to use JWM as fast Window Manager instead of Gnome
you got a little Bug, after Login at GDM Login Manager the JWM Desktop
seems to hang.
Background: missing deps of menu and menu-xdg
#sudo aptitude install menu menu-xdg
#sudo service gdm restart
if you miss some installed Programs then edit:
#sudo nano /etc/menu-methods/jwm
(and add lines, easy look for other program lines and copy them)
after close and save the jwm file-menu-template run
enjoy the fast slim Desktop..