Under heavy load the Debian Kernel 4.14-13 crashes on high memory load and let the CPU freeze. Not really funny so rollback to older version
Apparmor has a current bug with the Kernel 4.14 on Debian and seems Ubuntu too, it blocks MySQL and other services from clean run. Bug touches Network Stack of the Kernel
If you search for a slim twitter client on desktops try the small „surf“ browser
sudo apt-get install surf
Now you have a slim and clean Twitter Timeline like on Tablets, it can be resized to Banner or Fullscreen.
If you run Debian Servers, you read last weeks about security problems of systemd service manager.
On several tests i have seen much systems having problems on service starts on boot like on debian, raspian ..
This is a result of not clean redesigned scripts of the services by the Maintainers like the Proxy Server „privoxy“ Package…
For Tests i decided to try the new Debian Fork Replacement DEVUAN for Desktop and a standard Debian Server Setup without systemd!
Howto purge Systemd on a Debian System read this external Wiki:
or try Devuan for Server and Desktop:
Remark: Devuan is tested for Desktop usage cause customized scripts and packages like polkit for EASY setup!
If you work on older Laptops and you use a Console only System Setup like on Debian there is a Bug on systemd and the console-setup package since years. After reboot all Font Settings seems gone. But the Settings are not real gone, cause systemd does not pull the settings on boot!
How to fix?
- edit the crontab of root by
sudo su - crontab -e
- insert the /bin/setupcon command on „@reboot“ means on every boot!
@reboot /bin/setupcon > /dev/null 2>&1
- save and exit, reboot now
- now the PC should echo big Fonts for old eyes „Terminus 20×12 Frambuffermode“
- a „must know“ .. !! If you use old Hardware!
- End of Life may break old Laptops or Systems with unsupported Onboard Graphics! ATI/NVIDIA
Current is a UNFIXED Bug on Debian 9.0 Stretch which makes impossible to easy install DKMS Nvidia-Legacy Drivers 304/340 for older Geforce Cards
To run nouveau on upgrade 8.0 to 9.0 go to /etc/modprobe.d and remove MANUAL all blacklist configs (*.conf) of nvidia cause some glued on upgrade and are not purged automatic by the upgrade. Cause they will block nouveau load at boot (xserver-xorg-video-nouveau)
Then run on Terminal:
$sudo update-initramfs -u -k all $sudo update-grub $sudo reboot
- Older Hardware isn’t supported by Legacy Drivers after Nvidia-375!!
- If you not forced to upgrade to 9.0, then WAIT! up to 3 Month! and checkout Bug Lists.
- I tried Nvidia Installer Files too (*.run) they don’t work too, seems a API of the Kernel is changed
- Nouveau Version on Debian Stretch is able to run Kodi (glx)! seen on Geforce 8400GS 256MB
- On Onboard Geforce Chips like older Laptops HOLD Debian 8.0
Current the acd_cli tool for amazon drive mount offers no „fsid“ (device /dev) point, that you cant export and share the amazon drive at your home local network.
On the latest raspberry pi OS (jessie) you can use a small workaround to get a NFS Shared Amazon Cloud Backup Uploader (needs python3.4 !)
- install acd_cli tools, create the auth file (read) and run $ sudo acd_cli mount /amazoncloud
- now create a second Folder /sendtoamazon
- install nfs-kernel-Server and share this Folder with NFS exports to your LAN
- on the raspberrypi you can use a cron „move“ Job running every 10 Minutes:
*/10 * * * * mv /sendtoamazon/* /amazoncloud
If you now put files on the /sendtoamazon nfs share from a PC, the raspberry pi will grab and push it into the cloud via the „acd_cli mount“ a python3 script, remark 10 minutes is ok for small files! on bigger files use over „40“ minutes between pushes. If acd_cli fails check for correct python version! and last python modules!!! (python3-appdirs python3-dateutil python3-requests python3-sqlalchemy python3-pip pip3)
If you have a SMALL BANDWITH for upload you can use „rsync -avz“ instead mv (move) with „throttle“ option to upload files slowly!!