If have read the latest News about the Big Data Collector and his for FREE shared Browser, you see that the big data Company’s abuses their power to block Websites from their Buisiness.
With the next upcoming Releases they prevent fast access to public News Sites or other Blogs and enforces the Website Owners to ACCEPT the NEW RULES.
You see that most FREE Software IS NOT REALLY FREE Software, cause it’s a Tool to take CONTROL over the normal USERS!
To PREVENT this POLITICS try to use ALTERNATE SOFTWARE like the ICECAT Browser, sometimes it’s more useful to have a CLOSER look at the SOFTWARE you use at you DAILY Office.
..get back the CONTROL over your SYSTEMS!!
If you run scripts to handle text output by cronjobs your perhaps get problems with umlouds “ÖÄÜ” cause they are displayed by “**”.
This is a problem cause cron uses “C” setting as locale, you can test it by setting it into root crontab:
open crontab from root with:
$su - root
* * * * * locale
This will mail cron’s locale echo to the mailbox of root! Read root’s mail!
After tests remove the locale entry at crontab!
Howto fix for Scripts:
open crontab from root with:
$su - root
insert (for German):
If you work on older Laptops and you use a Console only System Setup like on Debian there is a Bug on systemd and the console-setup package since years. After reboot all Font Settings seems gone. But the Settings are not real gone, cause systemd does not pull the settings on boot!
How to fix?
- edit the crontab of root by
sudo su -
- insert the /bin/setupcon command on “@reboot” means on every boot!
@reboot /bin/setupcon > /dev/null 2>&1
- save and exit, reboot now
- now the PC should echo big Fonts for old eyes “Terminus 20×12 Frambuffermode”
If you and your Family are often online, you have to take care of them, cause much Companies are scanning and tracking all activities!
- use a secure Browser like Tor-Browser or Icecat with https-Everywhere Plugin
- purge Java Plugins and Flash if not needed
- use a small external Linux Privoxy Server with Tor Client Gateway (like “onion pi”) a old PC is also good
- use a second Router with Firewall behind your ISP Modem Router as extra Filter
- setup privoxy to force HTTPS without Plugins! If the Browser “Software” Plugins fails!
- disable direct access at the second Router to Internet from all Family PCs, cause Privoxy can do it for them
- more howto’s read https://wiki.linuxonlinehelp.de and Security Infos
If you want to be more secure, on Linux you can isolate used programs on different Users! All you need is installed by default!
- Add a new User for eMail and Browser to the System with:
$sudo adduser mailuser
$sudo adduser webuser
- now install if not installed by default “gksu” User Switch
$sudo apt-get install gksu
- copy now the default App Links to webuser’s Home Desktop, for mailuser enter mailuser’s name
$cp /usr/share/applications/firefox-esr.desktop /home/webuser/Desktop/firefox-esr.desktop
- edit the firefox-esr.desktop by right click on nautilus or a editor and change command line:
gksu -u webuser -w "/usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr %u"
- save and exit
- Now to test click on the Firefox App Link and a Password is asked! Enter the webuser password and you use Firefox on a isolated Account!
- Do same for thunderbird eMail Client! that no bad Code can access your Emails!
- Set the Home Folder rights for webuser and mailuser to 700 with:
$sudo chmod 700 /home/webuser
$sudo chmod 700 /home/mailuser
- Remark: Same Technics available at Windows or other Unix Systems, alternate use VNCSERVER! a App to run Desktops inside Desktops!
- Advantage: Programs run on isolated RAM Space!
Today i got a call and was asked how to STOP Seahorse from asking with a Passphrase Popup after opening Chrome or Chromium Browser:
Seems that google implementated a new Tool for Security to Prevent Access to STORED Browser Passwords, BUT this won’t work on Desktops with USER AUTOLOGIN like Lightdm!
ln -s /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop /home/username/Desktop/google-chrome.desktop
- Now open the new Icon on the desktop with the mouse right click
- Change Command Line for Chrome :
google-chrome-stable --password-store=basic %U
- or for (chromium):
- Now open the Browser with the new Icon Link
- On Ubuntu you can hold the Icon at the Taskbar after open the App with Store on the Taskbar
- Changed only on the User Desktop prevent you from Change the App by default for other Users!
- Changed only on the User Desktop prevent Chrome Updates from overwriting the new Command!
If you use SSH Logins to your Systems, you perhaps want to know, who logged in last days and from which IP Address.
Screenshot SSH Login Echo LAST Info:
- Open the .profile File at your Home with a Editor and enter:
last -n 4
- This will echo after login the last 4 Logins including the used IP’s
- To prevent Hackers to purge the lines set the .profile File “readonly”
sudo chmod 444 .profile
sudo chown root:root .profile