If you use a Gigablue SAT Box,after some weeks enigma2 will hang up:
edit root crontab:
0 1 * * * killall -9 enigma2 && sleep 5 && init 3 && /etc/init.d/samba restart
5 1 * * * wget -O /dev/null -q "IP-OF-GIGA-Box/web/powerstate?newstate=0&type=0"
This will restart enigma2 Service, Samba and Webinterface too! Then Enigma is set to Standby!
That kodi can access the TV Bookmarks to view TV over LAN! If Standby is not set Kodi hangs!
Under heavy load the Debian Kernel 4.14-13 crashes on high memory load and let the CPU freeze. Not really funny so rollback to older version
Apparmor has a current bug with the Kernel 4.14 on Debian and seems Ubuntu too, it blocks MySQL and other services from clean run. Bug touches Network Stack of the Kernel
After Ubuntu published the latest Kernel Patches for Meltdown and Spectre the Kernel 4.4.0-104/109-generic let Intel Graphics freeze or hang on Compiz with Unity.
Install the latest Kernel 4.4.0-112-generic
sudo apt-get install linux-image-4.4.0-112-generic
sudo apt-get install linux-image-extra-4.4.0-112-generic
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge -y
This removes older kernels and save Space! Do test the PC for hanging again!!!
I have often seen that the Unity Topbar of Ubuntu LTS is hidden or not clean loaded after Login.
It’s Caching Problem of Unity (Compiz) and Lightdm, if the PC is not clean rebooted or started.
sudo rm -fr ~/.cache/compizconfig-1 \
&& sudo rm -fr ~/.compiz && sudo service lightdm restart
Now relogin and check.. if ok do a Profile Backup! with:
tar -cvzf /usb-backup-stick/compiz.tgz \
If you work on older Laptops and you use a Console only System Setup like on Debian there is a Bug on systemd and the console-setup package since years. After reboot all Font Settings seems gone. But the Settings are not real gone, cause systemd does not pull the settings on boot!
How to fix?
- edit the crontab of root by
sudo su -
- insert the /bin/setupcon command on “@reboot” means on every boot!
@reboot /bin/setupcon > /dev/null 2>&1
- save and exit, reboot now
- now the PC should echo big Fonts for old eyes “Terminus 20×12 Frambuffermode”
Current is a UNFIXED Bug on Debian 9.0 Stretch which makes impossible to easy install DKMS Nvidia-Legacy Drivers 304/340 for older Geforce Cards
To run nouveau on upgrade 8.0 to 9.0 go to /etc/modprobe.d and remove MANUAL all blacklist configs (*.conf) of nvidia cause some glued on upgrade and are not purged automatic by the upgrade. Cause they will block nouveau load at boot (xserver-xorg-video-nouveau)
Then run on Terminal:
$sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
- Older Hardware isn’t supported by Legacy Drivers after Nvidia-375!!
- If you not forced to upgrade to 9.0, then WAIT! up to 3 Month! and checkout Bug Lists.
- I tried Nvidia Installer Files too (*.run) they don’t work too, seems a API of the Kernel is changed
- Nouveau Version on Debian Stretch is able to run Kodi (glx)! seen on Geforce 8400GS 256MB
- On Onboard Geforce Chips like older Laptops HOLD Debian 8.0
If you use a Amazon Kindle Fire 2015 (45$) Generation “Ford” or other Android Tablets,Smartphones you must know some MAJOR Informations about the Firmware Handling.
- If you were asked by the Fire OS or Android to “Upgrade” the Firmware OS, DON’T PUSH YES it without READING DETAILS! I prefer ALWAYS NO FIRST!
- Use ALWAYS a SDCARD to hold the MAJOR Data of your Tablet, cause if bricked or damaged you can’t pull off the DATA!!!
- Android Firmware Images INCLUDE not only the OS, it includes DRIVERS, and the MAJOR BOOTLOADER!! Cause Android Devices use no real BIOS!!
- If you Upgrade, you can RUN into BIG TROUBLE! Broken Drivers like no WIFI connect, freezing Screens on Boot, or BRICKS like the “BLACK SCREEN of DEATH” which destory the Tablets cause you can’t reach the BOOTLOADER for RECOVERY MODE and SITELOAD the FIRMWARE again!
- UPGRADES to bigger Version Releases like 5.1 to 5.3.X CAN’T be DOWNGRADED! Cause the DOWNGRADE don’t force overwrite correctly the BOOTLOADER, or leave the NEW BOOTLOADER untouched which can’t find the old KERNELS Names!
- As MAJOR INFO you should know that the “adb shell tool” is a DEVELOPER TOOL which doesn’t ASK anything to confirm, if the Firmware File is wrong or damaged! It flashes without any testing and any protection check! YOU have to KNOW what you ENTER!
- You can’t reach anything, if the Tablet is BRICKED and you can’t reach the RESCUE MENU MODE! Cause NAND Chips need a connect from adb shell tool to USB then to EEPROM Chip!
- To be sure prevent the Tablet from reaching the Amazon Update Servers by blocking the Domains on a Blacklist at the Home Router
- A pulling out the Battery, does often NOT HELP on Tablet! You often don’t need to open the Case for this try!
- If you can, buy Tablets, without Bloatware, but with SDCARD Connector, with a more basic Android called “Stock” OS (have seen this on cheap No Name China Tablets)
- Check the Internet Media for Hardware Infos which Hardware allow easy root access, some Manufacter allow this like Fairphones with special opened OS.
- For Kids usage purge the Amazon Account on the Tablet, this prevent unallowed Setups
- Android Firmware EEPROM Chips mostly glued onto the Mainboard, if the Firmware writing fails the device is a toaster.. no normal User can plug out the EEPROM Chips to flash them outside!
- Opened Tablets can be seen here
.. never change a running System.. if you MUST not..
- If someone find a Solution to flash the NAND chips without the Recovery Mode then mail me please!
- This Firmware Handling is the SAME on all Android or Embedded Devices like Openmips, Openwrt Routers ..