If you and your Family are often online, you have to take care of them, cause much Companies are scanning and tracking all activities!
- use a secure Browser like Tor-Browser or Icecat with https-Everywhere Plugin
- purge Java Plugins and Flash if not needed
- use a small external Linux Privoxy Server with Tor Client Gateway (like “onion pi”) a old PC is also good
- use a second Router with Firewall behind your ISP Modem Router as extra Filter
- setup privoxy to force HTTPS without Plugins! If the Browser “Software” Plugins fails!
- disable direct access at the second Router to Internet from all Family PCs, cause Privoxy can do it for them
- more howto’s read https://wiki.linuxonlinehelp.de and Security Infos
Many of Users have asked me what are the Advantages of using Freifunk WIFI Routers at Home?
One of my answer’s is that the Freifunk OS Openwrt SUPPORT the “MESH” Technology! This is mostly offered by high end WIFI Accesspoint’s or Industrial Devices. Mesh is a Communication Protocol where minimum 2 Devices handle WIFI Access Connections to a WIFI Endpoint (Client, like a Tablet)
There are 3 supported “Mesh” Types:
- Mesh connects between LAN Ports
- Mesh connects between WAN Ports
- Mesh connects between WIFI (default)
Here you see a Mesh Map of a Mesh Network (Public Admin Webpage Meshviewer):
Advantage by Mesh over Wifi (Default):
- If you Setup 3 Routers at Home this opens a Mesh over Wifi like a triangle:
- If here a user move the Client between the Rooms of a Home, he don’t need to switch the to the strongest Signal of Wifi, cause the Mesh handles the Access to best signal.
- If you use more Routers, you get a “Crossover Mesh” like this, which offers “Failover Mesh Network”
- These Mesh connects can be easy done by, Wifi to Wifi, LAN to LAN or WAN to WAN Ports (both over a Cable)!
- For WAN/LAN usage you must enable switches at the Advanced Admin Interface of the Freifunk Software!
- Remark: Enabled LAN/WAN MESH disable WIFI MESH!
- To connect successful all Routers, boot first the Router 1 with direct Internet Access! Then the Satellite Routers!
More Infos and Details read the Freifunk Wiki Meshing Mesh Network Openwrt
If you want to share Public Wifi at home for friends and you don’t want to share the Wifi Password, you can setup cheap a Public Openwrt Wifi Router as Access Point.
- Public Setup needs no Wifi Password
- You are not responsible, cause the Internet is pulled thru a VPN of Freifunk Network
- It’s anonymous!
- It’s free of Charge!
- Supported by a big Community
- Can installed on very cheap old Routers like the TP-Link 841 (find the Singleband Router on Amaz or EbXX 12$ or Powerfull Dualband Router TP Link C7 at 50$)
- Can by used at EVERY Freifunk MESH Wifi Access Network (Mobile Home Usage without Internet like LTE)
- It’s save
- Can be used with Solar Power or 9v Battery
- Go to the next Freifunk Community Downloads to get a Firmware , see on Sticker which Version the Router is, select then Firmware Version, like TP 841 Vers. 8.1 needs v8 (remark there are 2 Version the .bin and the sysupgrade.bin use always the .bin=gluon-fffd-3-142-20151030150319-tp-link-tl-wr841n-nd-v8.bin)
- Keep this Firmware on Backup !!! Its useful if the Router hangs on Changes! Or if the File is PURGED cause version Change! Older sometimes more STABLE!
- Power up the Router, login on TP-Link Web as admin, go Firmware Update, select the gluon-file, reboot and wait.
- Connect a PC with DHCP NET to the Router LAN (yellow Ports)
- Set SSH-Admin Password on Advanced first, select other Tabs on Advanced to Change first things you need. Remark Enable ” MESH on WAN or LAN” disabel MESH on WIFI which is default!!! This let 2 Routers stop meshing over Wifi if you like to use a Router at Office and a Router on the Garden without LAN Cables!!
- Select now Back to BASIC Tab and set Changes, like Geodata and Bandwith is useful, cause Geodata allow find next Router on a Meshmap!
- Save and Exit! Remark a “long HEX KEY” MUST be shown (red framed)!! If NOT reflash the Firmware cause SETUP FAILED!!! for FACTORY RESET!
- Test the Router after boot with Wifi Access, and Access on LAN 2-4!! LAN 1 offers only MESH Function.
- Emergency Access is possible by power on Router wait 60seconds then press RESET for min. 10 seconds, connect a PC to LAN2 and set IP 192.168.1.2 to the PC, the Router listen on 192.168.1.1 via telnet!! To do a Software RESET enter firstboot and confirm by YES, BUT this doesn’t work clean at my Routers, i reflashed successful and this is more clean.
- Go to the Meshviewer Map, look for your Router Name and pick up the IPv6 address, this Map is useful to check your Setup from Internet!
- Open a Linux Terminal ot Putty and enter ssh root@ip-v6 to reach the Router Console
- By this Commands you can change remotely anything Freifunk-Commands-Howto
- The MAJOR Advance is that EVERY Router with this OS can taken to a OTHER Area, and he can CONNECT to EVERY other Freifunk MESH NETWORKs!
- The TP-841 Router use 9V and can be used at MOBILE HOMES at foreign Citys
- At Home the Router offers a anonymous Office Internet Access, with Linux/TAILS on RAM very secure for researches
- Take the gluon-fffd-3-142-20151030150319-tp-link-tl-wr841n-nd-v8.bin a NON-SYSUPGRADE .bin File which seems more clean. Its found on the Freifunk Firmware Fresh Setupon a other path.